Support for Employees that Smoke
The effect of implementing a tobacco-free policy will be most immediate for employees who smoke. You can help them adjust to changes introduced by your smoking policy by communicating with them.
- Inform employees in advance that a new policy is being developed
- After the policy is implemented, let smokers know that you appreciate their efforts to comply with the policy.
- Offer smoking cessation assistance. There are many local and national resources that can be utilized and many our free of charge. See attached local resources.
- Ask nonsmoking employees to support and encourage smokers to try to quit or cut back.
- Plan for continuing support of smokers who want to quit. Smokers may not be successful on their first attempt to quit smoking and may require additional attempts in quitting smoking until they succeed.