Provide clean safe and aesthetically appealing stairwells
An important motivator in encouraging people to take the stairs is making stairwells more inviting.
Consider the following ideas:
- Motivational signs at elevators and escalators (refer to Section 1 for more information)
- Adding carpet and rubber treading
- Creative lighting
- Artwork or mirrors on the walls
- Theme stairwells (tropical rainforest, cartoons, etc.)
- Include an electronic message board
- Add footsteps that lead from the elevators to the stairs
- Post arrows showing the way to the stairs
- Create a fitness zone inside the stairwell with a sign: “You are now entering the Fitness Zone”
- Put numbers on the doors to let users know which floor they are on. Start at the bottom floor and give each stair a number so that users can easily track their progress.
- Allow users to add their signatures to each floor creating a graffiti wall
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/stairwell.index.htm
StairWELL to Better Health Project