Make the Transition Smooth and the Policy Work
Employees need to be aware of the transition and enough time to adjust to the new policy.
- The company could tie significant events (such as the effective date of the policy) to existing events, such as the Great American Smoke-out in November or the change of seasons.
- The plan should include: when the policy is to be announced (at least four months before the effective date; longer for very large organizations)
- When the policy does become effective activities should be planned to support those who do smoke; smoking cessation assistance or resources available
- Acquiring appropriate signs to display the new policy and its effective date for staff and visitors
- Develop a tool for feedback during the transition process
- Allow time to negotiate with labor unions if needed