Executive Summary: Workplace Wellness
Blueprint for success
Creating a blueprint for a healthy work environment can be a very complex process. However, the process can be simplified by understanding the overall problem, outlining good goals and objectives, understanding available resources, and implementing proven strategies and resources available to worksites in order to help employees lead healthier lifestyles. It is intended to be a guide, on the path to your worksite’s road to increased health and productivity.
• Healthcare costs are rising at 4 times the rate of inflation and are now consuming 50% of corporate profits.
• In 2004, the per-capita cost of health care was $6,040, which will increase to $11,046 per person by the year 2014.
• Preventable illness makes up ~ 70% of the burden of illness and associated costs.
How worksites can get started
- Gain commitment from stakeholders such as senior management, human resources managers, safety officers, staff members, etc.
- Assess the needs of your worksite.
- Create a wellness council or team that involves a good cross-section representation of your organization.
- Set goals and objectives, and prioritize them.
- Develop an action plan with appropriate strategies to address specified goals.
- Implement the plan.
- Monitor progress and make necessary changes.
- Evaluate the outcomes.
- Continue to revise the plan to maintain a healthy environment for all employees.
What worksites can do
- Conduct awareness activities surrounding National Health Observances, such as National Employee Health and Fitness Month in May or National Nutrition Month in March.
- Offer health education seminars and workshops.
- Conduct health screenings.
- Provide wellness and other self-help information through print or electronic means.
- Coordinate special events such as Bike to Work Day.
- Administer incentive programs for improvement of health and fitness behaviors.
- Offer employees a health risk assessment/appraisal.
How to use the Worksite Resource Kit
- This kit is divided into five sections: Assessment, Health Education, Physical Activity, Healthful Eating, and Worksite Environment.
- Within each section are corresponding action steps. Within accompanying CD are the specific action steps with additional information and resources on how to implement each action step.
- Once your worksite wellness team has determined priorities, goals and objectives, use this kit and CD to select the specific action steps you wish to implement at your worksite.