Decide on a new policy and develop a plan to implement it
Take the information you have gathered to assist your decision in a new policy to implement for your workplace
Basically there are two types of smoking policies that a worksite can implement.
- Tobacco-free environment in company facilities and vehicles; can be extended to include the property or grounds of the employer.
- Separately ventilated areas. Smoking limited to separately ventilated smoking rooms.
Items that the company’s policy should include:
- Purpose for policy (harmful effects of secondhand smoke on health)
- A tie between the tobacco policy and cessation support and the recognizable corporate values (e.g. performance of employees as an asset)
- Clear statement of where tobacco use is prohibited
- Clear statement of where tobacco use is permitted (if anywhere)
- Clear statement on enforcement and consequences on noncompliance
- Clear statement of support to be provided for employees who smoke (smoking cessation assistance)
- Name and phone number of person who can answer questions about the policy