Company using Employee Frequent Flyer Miles
Posted: 18 September 2008 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-03-04

We have employees that travel quite frequently and up to now have been keeping their earned frequent flyer miles as their own reward for all the traveling.  We are considering taking out a 2nd “rewards” card on these employees strictly for business mileage and using their business mileage for future businiess travel.  There has been quite an uproar on this and I’m wondering how many of you also do this?  According to the airline, we can change a minute detail in the employee’s name and take out a 2nd card, which is contrary to their rules and regs which states that an employee will have only one account.

Posted: 18 September 2008 10:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-03-04

My husband does quite a bit of international travel for his company.  He purchases his tickets with our credit card and earns reward miles.  My husband looks on his rewards miles as a perk of the company - - something which helps to compensate him for the many long hours of traveling done outside of the 8 to 5 arena.  His company ultimately reimburses him for travel expenses once he submits his expense request.

I certainly appreciate that a business would like to recapture the miles but it is a small price to pay when you consider the inconvenience, travel time, time away from home/family and expense.  Everyone feels good if they believe that they are getting “something for nothing” - - the value of these miles seems a small price to pay to keep good employees happy.

Ultimately - - what does your manual say?

Posted: 18 September 2008 10:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-03-04

Our Employee Handbook, that includes a copy of our Travel Policy states that they will be considered where the travel costs are exhorbitant, ie international travel.  Thanks for your response.

Posted: 18 September 2008 11:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-04

The company that I work for also allows employees who travel to keep their air miles for personal use. As the previous poster mentioned, we give them as a small perk in order to “thank” our employees for the time spent away from home and family on behalf of the business. Even though it’s a small perk for those who travel I believe we would also upset employees were we to take away this benefit. In the end we determined that it’s not worth the hit to morale those employees would experience should that perk be eliminated.

Signature 

Kindest Regards,

Rayanne Stemmler
Meiden America, Inc.
(734) 656-1400 ext. 211
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 18 September 2008 01:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-08-12

We considered trying to take away the FF miles from employees, but the initial uproar was so fast and so loud that we quickly scrapped the idea.  The potential cost savings are modest (particularly since FF miles cannot be easily redeemed for the kinds of travel that we most often need for business) and the morale issue was huge.

Posted: 19 September 2008 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-09-18

FF miles are not an issue at my employer as we are required to utilize the company approved travel office.  All you do is call them with your authorization and they book the travel utilizing a company maintained account so that you never see the invoice or need to wait for re-imbursement.

‹‹ Safety Program      Cost to Businesses? ››