Safety Program
Posted: 17 September 2008 02:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-03-04

Does anyone have a Safety Program written up that you would be able to share? We have multiple facets to our company between manufacturing, service, and retail with no written safety program. Or, is there one that you could recommend?

Posted: 18 September 2008 10:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-07-14

Are you starting from the very begining?  I would suggest you go to OSHA’s website and view their free etools and resources.  There are many free templates available online that you can adapt to your specific company and industry.

Posted: 18 September 2008 03:15 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-07-24

Whether you are starting from the beginning or cleaning up leftovers, I would suggest you check out Keller-Soft® Safety Plan Customizer® (Version 7) at http://www.jjkeller.com

I have used this many times and find it a great tool.  Has interview formats, (you can do yourself, delegate, or even involve safety team/committee members) then complete your policies/program from there.  Great OSHA data and help keys.

Signature 

Steve Frey
Advantage Services, Inc.
Showing businesses how to attract, retain and engage their workforce
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Phone: 260/489-0900 extension 18
Toll Free: 888/489-0900 extension 18
Mobile: 260/410-1643

Posted: 19 September 2008 11:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-09-18

JJ Keller has some good boiler plate material but be cautious as boiler plate cna get you into trouble during an OSHA inspection if the wording is not right.  Also, once written you need to review annually and document that you did it.  Nothing is worse then blowing the dust off of a 3 or 4 year old plan when OSHA walks through the door and it readily becomes evident that changes have occured in the workplace since the plan was written.

Also, look into attending a 30 hour General Industry OSHA outreach course.  It will help guide you through their regulations and also open you up to the Compliance Directives, i.e. the Compliance Officer’s bible of what constitutes compliance and what constitutes a violation.

Posted: 19 September 2008 01:56 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-03-04

You can also check with your Workers Compensation carrier.  Many times they are more than willing to help you out in this regard because it usually decreases claim frequency.  We are in Ohio which is monopolistic for workers comp, and even then have many sample programs to download as a start to putting together a safety program.