Tattoo’s and Body Piercing Policy
Posted: 14 August 2008 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-03-04

After 25 years I fineally have to address the issue of Tattoo’s and body piercings.

Do most of you have a separate policy or is it added in to the dress code policy? I am trying to figure out whether to write a separate policy or to revise the dress code policy.

Does anyone happen to have a sample policy I could look at to get some ideas?

I have an employee that has numerous tattoo’s in my shipping department and he wants more and is asking about piercings. I have nothing in my handbook. I need to get something written before it becomes out of control.

I have some ladies with small ones on their ankles and shoulders. I would like to say in an inconspicuous area of the body and reduce piercings to the ears only.

I am not of this generation and I don’t want to step on anyone’s rights, but we are a small health food company and we are selling healthy wholesome products. Most of our customers are older and tattoos and piercings would be offensive to them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Shirley

Posted: 14 August 2008 04:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2006-07-26

These might help:

Dress Code and Grooming Articles

Here is a sample dress code policy:

The dress code and personal appearance standards for your job position will be reviewed with you by your manager. The purpose of the Company dress attire and personal appearance standards is to present a professional, fresh, and neat appearance and to assure safe and sanitary working conditions.

Good personal hygiene and personal habits are also very important. Body cleanliness, especially of the hands and fingernails, is a must. No employees will be permitted to wear un-natural hair colors (blue, green) or piercing in any visible part of the body other than the ears while working.

If you are required to wear a uniform or nametag, please make sure it is clean and neat. If you need new uniforms it is your responsibility to ask for them before you are asked to do so by a manager.

I don’t think you’ll have a problem enforcing this kind of policy, as long as you apply it uniformily, particularly if there is no religious issue involved.

Hope that helps.

[p.s. Sorry for the double mailing about this post; it was my mistake.]

[ Edited: 14 August 2008 04:47 PM by Patrick Della Valle ]
 Signature 

Patrick Della Valle
Employment Law Information Network
P.O. Box 45
Chinchilla, PA 18411

Patrick Della Valle - LinkedIn Profile

Posted: 14 August 2008 05:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-04

We are a conservative bank and include the prohibition of tatoos and piercings as part of our dress code policy. Under our standards of appearance, it states:

Standards
              a. No more than 2 earrings per ear.
              b. Tattoos must be covered at all times.
              c. Visible body jewelry, other than for pierced ears, is not allowed.
                Political, promotional (non-bank sponsored) or organizational buttons or badges are not allowed.
                No gum chewing.

Posted: 15 August 2008 07:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-03-04

I guess I’m a little more progressive.  Tattoos (and no, I don’t have one) have become body art. My thought is that if the person is not dealing w/the customer, i.e. shipping dept. than it’s no big deal.  One of my top machinist is not only tattooed but also has a piercing through his lip.  My sales dept on the other hand, needs to be a little bit more conservative.  We always try to leave it to the discretion of the employee, w/a manager’s help.  I’m 51 years old and quite honestly, I’ve pretty much seen a lot working in a manufacturing environment.  If I go do a dept store and the clerk is tattooed and pierced, the only concern I have is them ringing up my order right, not judging by what she looks like.

Posted: 15 August 2008 03:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-03-04

We are including piercings and tattoos in our latest policy revision under the dress code standards.  We are a retailer and have kept it focused so that it is not a safety hazard for piercings and we are not allowing images that are of an offensive or vulgar nature so we will have more flexibility to deal with it on a case by case basis depending on the level of customer interaction.

Posted: 18 August 2008 12:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-03-20

This is always a fun HR topic! 

I’m head of HR for a small retail company.  I don’t think tat’s and piercings justify their own individual policy rather they are part of an overall philosophy and culture of personal appearance (I usually lump good grooming in here, too).  Then I consider the business justification for prohibiting or limiting them.  For example, if the employee is in a customer-facing position.  Recently, I had an experience where I was in Neiman Marcus at the cosmetics counter and one of their associates had two visible tattoos.  Granted they were on her ankles and rather small, nonetheless, this was NEIMAN MARCUS!  I was in the process of revising our own dress code and added the statement that we had “a tolerance for tasteful tattoos” and that tasteful would be left up to regional manager interpretation.

Other considerations include the location of the business, attitudes vary vastly from large, metro areas to small, Bible-belt communities; the demographic profile of your customers; how tight the labor market is (the greater your standards, the smaller your potential talent pool is); safety concerns—- jewelry should be limited/prohibited in environments with moving machinery, equipment, etc.