Providing Information to the Police
Posted: 10 May 2008 11:32 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-03-05

Has anyone had to deal with police officers asking for personal information like addresses due to a criminal investigation?  Under what circumstance (without a warrant) can the police require information regarding employees?  What liability does the create for the employer?

[ Edited: 11 May 2008 11:14 PM by dkillingsworth ]

Posted: 13 May 2008 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-03-04

We just had a situation like this and we gave the police a copy of the employee’s resume, the background check and emergency contact form, but we required a letter of request from the detective on his letterhead.  If he wants more, we will require a subpoena.  I was told that we are not required to comply with a request like this from the police unless they have a subpoena for the information.  We chose to give him the few pieces of information I listed above.

Posted: 13 May 2008 09:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2006-07-26

This might be a state specific issue, but I don’t think an employer has any obligation to cooperate with police.  That’s not to say that you cannot or should not cooperate, but I wouldn’t provide information to police that goes beyond your company’s policy regarding confidentiality.

Signature 

Patrick Della Valle
Employment Law Information Network
P.O. Box 45
Chinchilla, PA 18411

Patrick Della Valle - LinkedIn Profile