Assessment Tools
Posted: 19 March 2008 11:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-03-04

We’re currently using a Personality Profile assessment tool that the organization’s been using for the past five years. I’m not a big fan and really feel like the data is equivalent to a palm reading the way it’s written. I’m researching some assessment tools on the internet but few have demos available where you can really see what you may be paying for. We’re a fairly small company (120 employees). Anything out there that has really surpassed your expectations in helping you make great hiring decisions?

Posted: 19 March 2008 02:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2006-07-26

Alice:

I haven’t used them myself, but know of some large (fortune 500) companies that use CentACS (although their web site looks pretty dated to me).

Signature 

Patrick Della Valle
Employment Law Information Network
P.O. Box 45
Chinchilla, PA 18411

Patrick Della Valle - LinkedIn Profile

Posted: 19 March 2008 02:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  9
Joined  2008-03-04

I will into this - thanks for the info. What’s nice about what we’re currently using is that it can all be administered online - this looks more like a paper and pencil format. I like having a program that can graphically or otherwise summarize the results. We’re currently using http://www.wonderlic.com/
It’s not awful, but the questions given to applicants and feedback given back to us can be very generalized. I think using tests that give you scenarios and allow you to choose from a list of possible responses to a problem would be more effective. Also, something that tests on other areas such as management or sales capabilities would be useful for some of the positions we offer.

Posted: 18 September 2008 07:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-03-04

We are usinig the DiSC Personality Profile assessment, Classic 2.0 w/o supplements.  It works pretty well for us.

Posted: 19 September 2008 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-08-19

As the president of an HR consulting firm I’ve seen, and used, several assessment tools over the years.  However, I’ve learned that most inexpensive tools don’t do much more than make you feel good that you did something.  The keys to a valid tool are the quality of the data and the interpretation of the data. 

A few years ago I met an industrial psychologist who specializes in pre-employment testing and data interpretation.  I can honestly say he has been dead on in every case I’ve seen.  Most clients take his recommendations.  For the few that don’t, they usually find themselves calling him a few months later saying “so-and-so didn’t work so we had to fire him.”  Not only does he expect the calls but he can tell the client why they fired the employee before they have a chance to explain!  Yes, his services cost more than a DiSC profile, but think of the money spent on hiring, training, supporting, counseling, and terminating the wrong employee.  Compared to that his fees are pocket change!  I’ll be happy to share his contact information with anyone who is interested.

Frank A. Cania, SPHR
President & CEO
CANIAHR, LLC
144 Village Landing
Suite 309
Fairport, NY 14450
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Posted: 23 September 2008 04:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  15
Joined  2008-08-12

Be careful about screening tools and profiling for non-executive jobs.  In most cases, the screening/profiling tool will not have been “validated” as measuring some characteristic essential to the particular job for which you are hiring. If you use a tool that screens out a disproportionate number of applicants in a protected class (black, women, hispanic, older, etc.) you will be in deep trouble when you get the disparate impact class action lawsuit.

Posted: 23 September 2008 11:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-08-19

Kevin is exactly on the money with his post…another reason I strongly recommend my clients use a highly trained expert to handle all of the testing and data interpretation.  They should know what tests to use and what to stay away from.  Also, the fees are usually high enough to discourage a company from overusing the testing process for any position lower than Sr. management or highly compensated employees.  The low end tests are, at best a waste of time and, at worst, a path to litigation.