Poll
Do you block employees from accessing social networking sites?
Yes 6
No 8
Total Votes: 14
You must be a logged-in member to vote
Social Networking…good or bad?
Posted: 26 February 2008 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2006-07-26

Check out this article for a discussion on blocking social networking sites at work

Signature 

Patrick Della Valle
Employment Law Information Network
P.O. Box 45
Chinchilla, PA 18411

Patrick Della Valle - LinkedIn Profile

Posted: 04 March 2008 01:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-03-04

Our corporation blocks these types of social networking sites because like the article is saying, It does create lack of productivity in the workplace, plus they do eat up the bandwidth.

Posted: 04 March 2008 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2008-03-04

Our facility blocks things like youtube and myspace.

Posted: 05 March 2008 11:11 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-03-05

While the majority of our applications are web based our company does not allow any internet access other than our applications.  That does make it difficult for HR when we have to reseach items such as job references or getting additional federal and state forms.

Posted: 05 March 2008 03:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2006-07-26

Check out this article in the Wall Street Journal: The New Workplace Rules: No Video-Watching.  According to the Journal:

Companies across the U.S. are starting to prevent their employees from accessing Internet-video services at work. The move follows previous steps by IT departments to shut employees’ access to instant-messaging services, streaming music and Web sites with adult content.

Signature 

Patrick Della Valle
Employment Law Information Network
P.O. Box 45
Chinchilla, PA 18411

Patrick Della Valle - LinkedIn Profile

Posted: 05 April 2008 08:07 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-04-05

My company is probably one of the few that will never block social media websites, primarily because we provide social media monitoring, analysis, and engagement tools for Fortune 500 companies.

From an HR Manager standpoint, these are important sites when conducting reference and background checks. I also use LinkedIn extensively not only for recruiting but also for professional social networking. LinkedIn has established itself as the premier professional social networking site. I don’t find much professional use for YouTube, Myspace, or Facebook although I have seen an increasing number of companies creating MySpace profiles especially if they are targeting a young adult / teen demographic.

There is increasing discussion around the legality of using social media websites when conducting background checks. You need to be very careful about disqualifying candidates because of what they posted on these types of sites.

[ Edited: 16 April 2008 12:08 AM by Dan Hall ]
 Signature 

Dan Hall
Seattle Human Resources Manager
Sourcing Seattle- Discussions of Human Resource Functions

Posted: 30 April 2008 01:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  12
Joined  2008-03-05

Our company limits any internet access that is not directly related to the company’s business.  I find it refreshing to not have to address the lack of productivity based on computer usage.  It is difficult to not have the access for my research and reference checks.

Posted: 08 May 2008 02:11 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  17
Joined  2008-03-04

We do not block anything but we do have a pretty good internet usage policy in place.  I haven’t had a problem with this at work, hopefully I won’t in the future.

Shirley

Posted: 11 May 2008 09:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-04-05

Shirley,
Having a good internet policy in place is a great first step, unfortunately as with all policies they only exist to be broken. That is rarely does policy prevent the action they are designed to curb. In fact, in my experience most employees do not read the employee handbook and do not have a good grasp of what the company’s policies actually are. Even so, one large issue with the internet is the reduction of productivity it can cause and that has been one of the biggest reasons for internet limitations.

Check out this survey.

http://webworkerdaily.com/2007/03/29/the-two-edged-sword-of-web-20/

Signature 

Dan Hall
Seattle Human Resources Manager
Sourcing Seattle- Discussions of Human Resource Functions