Notice versus Disability
Posted: 07 February 2011 01:44 PM   [ Ignore ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-03-04

We are a small—less than 10—law firm in California.  Our receptionist/vendor billing clerk gave me two weeks notice due to a change of circumstances at home she could not get her daughter to daycare and still get to work on time.  Since she did not have a job, I suggested that she work through the end of the month (February) and we would accommodate her interviews and the like to help her out.  I confirmed this in an email and she wrote back that what I had stated was correct.  The next day she had an appointment (medical)—said she would be gone for a hour and change —she never came back - - but I did receive a fax from a psych saying she was disabled and he would revisit her issue next month.

What to do?  I feel like her notice stands—she gave notice due to a change in circumstances at home.  Department of labor does not answer the phone.  Do I send her her “final” paycheck - - one sick day/one worked day plus a couple of hours; she has accumulated five or six days of vacation.  I can run her paycheck for the couple of days - - should I cash out her vacation?  Would that constitute “adverse employment action”?

Posted: 07 February 2011 03:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  60
Joined  2006-07-26

Linda:

I think you should talk with an employment lawyer about this issue.  It’s very fact specific and this isn’t the place to get legal advice.  I know that’s not the help you were looking for, but feel free to post your question to our EL Match System.

Signature 

Patrick Della Valle
Employment Law Information Network
P.O. Box 45
Chinchilla, PA 18411

Patrick Della Valle - LinkedIn Profile

Posted: 07 February 2011 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2008-03-04

Thank you.  It is rather like a chicken and the egg debate.  I feel notice came first—disability followed and does not rescind her notice.  But I would have to admit - - I cannot find anyone who has had this come up in the past.  Thanks again.  I knew it was a long shot.

Posted: 09 March 2011 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2011-03-08

I would be interested in knowing what the employment lawyer said, Linda.  My gut says that, since she was still employed, the disability claim would supersede the notice, but I can definitely see your take on it as well.  “Chicken and the egg” is an apt description!