Sexual Harassment Prevention Video
Posted: 19 May 2010 03:53 PM   [ Ignore ]
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2008-03-04

The video I have been using for sexual harassment training is dated. I am looking for recommendations for a new video that includes scenarios that are not blatant examples of harassment and hopefully which promote discussion.  Thank you

Posted: 20 May 2010 08:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  1
Joined  2008-08-29

I have successfully used video and training materials at no cost from my local workforce development location. They have entire libraries available to check out. It worked out well for us.

Posted: 20 May 2010 08:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-18

What state are you in?

Posted: 20 May 2010 10:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-03-04

New York.  However I have employees in multiple States including California

Posted: 20 May 2010 10:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Rank
Joined  2008-08-18

Thanks for the quick reply and the tip.

[ Edited: 21 May 2010 10:46 AM by Tammye Chaney ]

Posted: 20 May 2010 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-08-15

Hello -

At emTRAiN, we’re employment lawyers who specialize in training.  We sell a train the trainer kit for HR professionals and other employment lawyers that includes a DVD of 14 workplace harassment scenes.  The videos were produced in 2009 and are very current and well done.  You can view the videos from our website at http://www.emtrain.com/movies  We o.ffer workplace videos (on a DVD) that correspond to all of our online courses - Discrimination, Harassment, Diversity, ADA, Hiring, Firing, Performance Management, etc.

Posted: 21 May 2010 12:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2010-05-21

From my experience conducting such programs, Case Studies are much more effective than videos in conveying the message and in obtaining a sense of the perceptions of participants. The Case Studies used include those where UNLAWFUL harassment has occured and those where UNLAWFUL harassment has not occured. When asked, via Case Studies, whether a certain scenario is or is not Prohibited Harassment, you’ll hear the perceptions and misunderstandings of the participants—be they non-management or management. And, you’ll learn that the term “hostile work environment” is used to describe any situation that the person does not like, whether is is UNLAWFUL or not. Then you have the opportunity to deal with those misperceptions.

Posted: 21 May 2010 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
RankRank
Total Posts:  14
Joined  2008-03-04

People like videos.

Still, I’d note that if you ever have a problem, the EEOC has said that showing a video is “wholly inadequate” as a response.

“According to the EEOC, not only did CPT fail to act on harassment reported to supervisors for eight months, but also the center’s belated response was wholly inadequate. Instead of investigating the allegations or disciplining the harasser, the company simply showed an anti-harassment training video to the work force – and several of the women reported that the harasser was on his telephone during the video.” (see http://www.eeoc.gov/eeoc/newsroom/release/10-21-09.cfm online)

Posted: 21 May 2010 02:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Rank
Total Posts:  2
Joined  2008-08-15

I agree with the last 2 posts.  Ideally, I think training should include video vignettes of various workplace scenes, as well as case studies to allow learners to apply concepts learned, and the trainer should be walking the learners through all the concepts.  I think the training can be done in a classroom, or online, as long as it contains all those elements.  Here’s an online sample of what I’m referencing:  http://ccc.emtrain.com/demo.php